September’s 20 on 20 features Jaclyn Rainey, Associate Principal Horn with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Jaclyn studied at the Eastman School of Music and New England Conservatory. She previously held positions in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Naples Philharmonic.
1. What was your first instrument and how old were you when you started?
A Holton 179, I was 10 years old.
2. Describe what would be your perfect day?
Nothing too specific, I’d like to have all my friends and family in one place. Everyone is so spread out these days that I really treasure time together. Having good food and wine as well is a must.
3. Most memorable performance?
Playing Mahler 6 with the Boston Symphony at the BBC Proms in London.
4. Significant teachers/mentors in your life?
Karen Schneider, Peter Kurau, Jamie Sommerville and Gus Sebring.
5. Something you’ve been meaning to try, but just haven’t gotten around to it?
I’d really like to learn how to play golf. I like being outside, and driving a golf cart around would be an added bonus!
6. Favorite symphony?
7. Who was the last person that made you cry and why?
My dog, Fred. He recently passed away. Playing Heldenleben without him just isn’t the same. He would howl every time I played it, even if he was outside!
8. If money was no object, what would you buy?
A helicopter, so that I’d never have to wait in traffic again.
9. One thing most people don’t know about you?
I love all things Disney…Disneyland, Disney World and of course, the movies.
10. Opera or ballet?
Both? Haven’t played a lot of either.
11. First job?
Acting Principal in the Naples Philharmonic.
12. Favorite sports team?
Not a huge sports fan, but the last game I went to was a Boston Red Sox game, so let’s go with that.
13. If you could invite one person to dinner tonight, who would it be?
Jiro, from the Netflix documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Of course, he’d be doing all the cooking.
14. Coffee or Tea?
Both, I’m an equal opportunity drinker.
15. Favorite book?
Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss. Yes, it’s a children’s book, but a good message for adults too. An oldie but a goodie!
16. Favorite movie?
Jurassic Park. We’re playing it at the Hollywood Bowl next month and I couldn’t be more excited.
One brother, Adam, who plays bass trombone in the Kansas City Symphony. It’s nice having a sibling that’s a musician, we’re very close, whether he likes it or not 😃.
18. Favorite piece to play?
Brahms 2 or Don Juan.
19. Least favorite piece to play?
20. Dogs or cats?
Dogs, but cats are ok too.