"The Shires BLW (B bell, lightweight) is an excellent trumpet for crossover trumpet players who want to play both classical and lead passages on the same horn. The B bell is slightly more open than the A, and its side seam provides a responsive, reverse-lead pipe feel. This horn is unique because it produces a warm sound at lower volumes, but changes character and lights up with a zingy, sizzling upper register at higher volumes. As more commercial repertoire is introduced to orchestral and wind band settings, the versatility provided by crossover horns such as the BLW is becoming more and more valuable."
-Renee McGee, Shires Rising Artist
Shires Website Description:
The S.E. Shires Model BLW trumpet features a lightweight version of the broad “B” bell that allows for even faster response and an open high register. Brilliant and nimble, it navigates technical passages with flexibility and ease. It sounds warm, round, and intimate at when played softly, but sizzles at high volumes—and projects easily to the back of any performance space. The openness of the standard W leadpipe provides a free, stable-slotting, but flexible blow; its relatively fast taper adds brilliance to the characteristic warmth of the B bell taper. Yellow-brass balancers and lightweight yellow brass valve caps add depth and immediacy to the sound. The combination of playability and warmth unique to the BLW make it one of the few lightweight trumpets to appeal to lead and classical players alike.
- Bore: .459 inch
- BLW Bell: 4 13⁄16 inch, one piece, hand-hammered "B" (broad) taper in lightweight yellow brass with traditionally brazed seam and standard bead
- W Leadpipe: .347-inch venturi, lightweight yellow brass; open and free blowing with well-defined slots and easy, immediate response
- X Tuning Slide: dual-radius bend, standard water key; free blowing and flexible, with great response
- Piston Material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve Cluster: two-piece casings, lightweight, with yellow-brass balusters
- Lower Valve Caps: lightweight yellow brass
- Bell Engraving: S.E. Shires makers mark, model designation, and traditional floral pattern
- Finish: silver plate
- Includes S.E. Shires single trumpet case, mouthpiece, and care kit