S. E. Shires Custom Series Model AF Bb Trumpet
- Bore: .459 inch
- AF Bell: 4 13⁄16 inch, one piece, hand-hammered “A” (centered) taper in standard-weight yellow brass with traditionally brazed (side) seam, French bead, and dual-radius bell bend
- W05 Leadpipe: .345-inch venturi, lightweight yellow brass—efficient, flexible, open and free blowing, with easy, immediate response
- W Tuning Slide: dual-radius bend, standard water key—strong core, brilliance, and presence of sound
- Piston Material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve Cluster: two-piece casings, standard weight, with nickel silver balusters
- Lower Valve Caps: nickel silver
- Bell Engraving: S.E. Shires makers mark, model designation, and traditional floral pattern
- Finish: silver plate
- Includes S.E. Shires single trumpet case, mouthpiece, and care kit
This popular variation on the standard S.E. Shires Model A trumpet features a special, slightly squarer bell bend with a side seam and French bead. These characteristics give its sound added complexity, cushion the blow slightly, and enhance its projection and power. The W05 leadpipe, incrementally more efficient that the WH but just as open and flexible, allows the player to produce the most delicate passages with ease despite the bold bell treatment. The Model AF has a versatile sound that ranges from warm glow to clarion edge, while permitting a spectrum of subtleties in between. Nickel silver balusters and valve caps add brilliance and character to the sound, increase its core, and contribute to cleanness and immediacy of attack at all dynamics. This trumpet makes a great choice as an all-around instrument for performance in a wide variety of musical settings and styles.
Out of stock
The S.E. Shires company slogan, Quality without compromise™, is more than simply a marketing tool. It is Steve Shires’ heartfelt conviction and his fundamental principle for both manufacture and design. S.E. Shires Co. builds nearly every part on its custom instruments in its Holliston, Massachusetts workshop, as it has since 1995. A member of the S.E. Shires team play-tests every instrument thoroughly before it ships. Steve’s attention to design and his keen understanding of how it affects sound and playability is unsurpassed by any other brass instrument maker. He has parallel commitments to the highest standards of modern manufacturing, which make his instruments consistent and mechanically superior, and to the old-world craftsmanship which gives them a distinctively resonant voice appreciated by players the world over.
In May, 2014, Eastman Music Company purchased the S.E. Shires Company. Based in Pomona, California, Eastman is well known for the quality and value of its broad offering of band and orchestral instruments. With the backing of Eastman, S.E. Shires has been able to increase its instrument line, production capacity, and worldwide presence, while maintaining its core commitment to quality, in-house manufacturing.
|Dimensions||19 × 8 × 6 in|