This month we’re proud to feature Dr. Jacquelyn Adams, Assistant Professor of Horn at the University of Southern Mississippi School of Music! Dr. Adams is a member of Iris Orchestra and has served on faculty at Kendall Betts Horn Camp. She was a co-founder and former member of Genghis Barbie, and is performing with The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Horn Quartet for their 2020 season. Jacquelyn is also a guest artist with Seraph Brass.
1. What was your first instrument and how old were you when you started?
2. Could you describe what would be your perfect day?
Quiet, long, good food, music… hanging with my three dogs, one cat, and eight chickens.
3. Most memorable performance?
Canada’s 6th International Horn Day – played a 15 minute set with guitar and drums, and it was an awesome day.
4. Significant teachers/mentors in your life?
It’s taken a village to teach me play this thing – William Purvis, Jerome Ashby, Ellen Dinwiddie Smith, Jim Irwin, Bill Scharnberg, Myron Bloom, Greg Hustis, Chris Komer, section mates, family, and so many others.
5. Something you’ve been meaning to try, but just haven’t gotten around to it?
Moving to the country and becoming a farmer
6. Favorite symphony?
That’s tough – probably Mahler or Dvorak.
7. Who was the last person that made you cry and why?
Tchaikovsky with all those F#s.
8. If money was no object, what would you buy?
All the land and all the animals.
9. One thing most people don’t know about you?
I was home-schooled.
10. Opera or ballet?
Opera, unless it’s Firebird.
11. First job?
Customer service at a musical instrument store, working to save enough money to buy my first car (’88 Bronco II).
12. Favorite sports team?
13. If you could invite one person to dinner tonight, who would it be?
14. Coffee or Tea?
15. Favorite book?
Ummm….The Book of Kopprasch?
16. Favorite movie?
Haven’t seen a movie in YEARS but Awakenings with Robin Williams was meaningful.
Two – a brother and sister, both younger.
18. Favorite piece to play?
Soft stuff with strings.
19. Least favorite piece to play?
All marches but Jurassic Park is up there.
20. Dogs or cats?
DOGS FOREVER (don’t tell my cat).